Deep POV: discussion and craft

StoryShop Forums Sharpening Your Craft Craft Deep POV: discussion and craft

Alison Woods
    Participant
    Whether we write in first, second, or third person point of view deep point of view can make the story feel much more intimate and connect with our readers. I would love for this to be a discussion on what you feel Deep POV is, how we avoid things like author intrusion (Or ‘Narrating’) and what are some tricks you use to make sure you stay immersed in your characters’ world.

A brief (rough) example of the difference, 1st with author intrusion:

Kyra dropped the wrench with a hiss of pain. The seventeen-year old girl was sure that the 1942 M4 Sherman tank hated her and was breaking down just to spite her. “I bet most girls are figuring out what clothes to wear out on the town, not worrying about whether her crossbow is properly maintained and the tank is ready for maneuvers.” But she said it under her breath, not wanting to get another lecture from her father.

Brief (rough) hopefully deeper POV:

Krya hissed in pain and dropped the wrench, her knuckles bleeding. The old Sherman had it in for her, she was sure of it. If the shows on TV were to be believed, most girls her age were worrying about prom dresses and dates–not 75-year old tanks, holy water supply, and crossbow ammunition. But prom dresses wouldn’t get this tank running. She would. The ‘glory and burden of knowlege’–as her father put it–wouldn’t keep the monsters away at night. She would.

I know these are probably not the best examples, but I am trying to illustrate. 🙂 In the first example, Kyra would never think of the tank as a 1942 M4 Sherman tank, even though that’s what it is. She is too familiar with it so she would think of it in her normal terms. She also wouldn’t think of herself as “seventeen-year old Kyra”. That is a narrator jumping in to tell us that bit of information.

So? What do you say? Tips, tricks, and methods you love?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Replies
      Jessica
      Jessica
      Participant
      Thanks indeed for just amazing article with covering lots of tangible and considerable points really important to craft appealing and engaging story line and try to symbolize the distinction between two paragraphs of the same story featuring Kyra the seventeen years girl. As content editor I still remember asking to http://www.CheapEssayWriter.com at the time of enrolling to my academic institution
      • This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by JessicaJessica.
      • This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by JessicaJessica.
      george
      Participant
      One more tip – always check the refund policy before using any service. For example, I found a lot of interesting things after exemining trustmypaper refund policy.
      Maniha
      Maniha
      Participant
      Great work, so wisely you have covered the whole topic by providing examples and these examples really help me to understand the whole. Soo many stories are available in on the internet but this is unique, the way the examples are given is really adorable. As a writer at content writers Karachi I really admire you to write this style topic and this will surely help university students in their studies.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.