Beats Templates Messed Up Order

StoryShop Forums All Things StoryShop StoryShop Troubleshooting Beats Templates Messed Up Order

• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Avatarcoca.
    Sarah
    Participant
    Hi there,

Perhaps there’s just something I’m not understanding as a new user here, but I’m confused by the beats templates.

I’ve tried creating three new books now with different beats templates, and the same thing happens every time – the book is created with the beats in a strange order – for example, the order is presented as 2, 6, 5, 3, 4, 7, 1. That is, neither ascending or descending order.

At first I thought it might be a ‘recommended’ order to start drafting in – but I’m not really sure that is the case. For instance, one of the templates I tried started with point three (Fascination) which says ‘Hero tracks down the MacGuffin’… shouldn’t I have already established a MacGuffin first?

I took a look at the video FAQs, and the template in the video seems to be in the ‘correct’ order (1, 2, 3, etc…) so I’m not sure why this is happening.

Is it a bug, or is there something I’m not understanding about how StoryShop works? If there’s some kind of rationale behind writing scenes in this order, I’d love to learn more about it, but I don’t want to try and force myself to write in a nonsensical order if it’s just a mistake with the program!

Thanks for your help

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Replies
      Philip
      Participant
      Hey Sarah,

First off, I’m just a StoryShop user like you, so I don’t have any official knowledge here. However, I also ran into the same issue you mentioned and went through the thought process of “Maybe this is the suggested order?” but I can pretty confidently say that it’s more than likely a bug. As soon as I rearranged the points (you can drag each one around and reorder them), they made so much more sense structurally. It takes a few minutes to do, but until the issue gets ironed out, it’s the best way to see the story beats in order. For the record, once they were in order (I was using the template for Seven), it was really helpful to see them for a movie I was familiar with.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 4 weeks ago by AvatarPhilip.
      Sarah
      Participant
      Thanks for your reply Philip – it’s good to hear I’m not the only one encountering this issue/having been confused by it!

I will try dragging and dropping the beats around. I figured I could do that, but then lost confidence that I was ‘correct’ in my assumption that it was an error and not some superior approach to writing I was too silly to figure out!

Philip
      Participant
      No problem! Like I said, that was me for a good solid few minutes. Good luck with your outlining!
      Savy
      Keymaster
      I’m so sorry about the mix up! That would be a bug. I’ll make sure that gets fixed. If you have any other issues, don’t hesitate to send a user ticket, email me at [email protected] or post here and I’ll help you out.

coca
      Participant
      Article with a deep knowledge and well-staged. I have visited your website. It is very interesting and impressive. Thanks for sharing with us such a great article. I want to come again. Please update.

fnaf world

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.